HIS NAME IS WONDERFUL
Words and Music by Audrey Mieir, 1916–
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder; and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6 KJV)
More than 2,500 years ago, the prophet Isaiah told of One who would be the hope of mankind, the long awaited Messiah who would establish an eternal kingdom based on justice and righteousness. Isaiah’s important pronouncement told that this one would be a God-man: a child born—His humanity; a son given—His deity. The quintuplet of names ascribed to this One gives further insight into His character and ministry:
• Wonderful— He would be wonderful in what He would accomplish for the fallen human race.
• Counselor— He would be our guide through life, and our advocate before the heavenly Father.
• The Mighty God— He would be the God before whom every knee shall one day bow.
• The Everlasting Father— He would be the God of eternity.
• The Prince of Peace— He would be the one who would ultimately bring a true tranquillity among all nations.
Audrey Mieir has been widely known for several decades as the composer and author of many fine gospel songs and choruses. “His Name Is Wonderful,” written in 1959, is one of her finest. She tells in her biography how the inspiration for this song occurred while she watched the annual Christmas program given at her Bethel Union Church in Duarte, California. After the usual procession of angels, shepherds, Mary and Joseph, the singing of “sleep in heavenly peace,” the pastor of the church suddenly exclaimed—“His Name Is Wonderful.” Audrey Mieir tells that she quickly grabbed her Bible, searched the concordance for names given to Jesus in the Scriptures, and soon composed this song, which has since been sung around the world:
His name is Wonderful, His name is Wonderful, His name is Wonderful, Jesus, my Lord; He is the mighty King, Master of ev’rything; His name is Wonderful, Jesus, my Lord; He’s the great Shepherd, the Rock of all ages, Almighty God is He; bow down before Him, love and adore Him; His name is Wonderful, Jesus my Lord.
For Today: Psalm 72:19; Proverbs 18:10; 22:1; John 1:12; Acts 4:12; Philippians 2:9,10
The more intimately we know the “child-Son,” the deeper grows our love and devotion for Him. Worship Him even now and throughout the day with the singing of this song—
Osbeck, K. W.
- And blessed be his glorious Name forever: and let all the earth be filled with his glory. So be it, even so be it. Psalm 72:19
- The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous runneth unto it, and is exalted. Proverbs 18:10
- A good name is to be chosen above great riches, and loving favor is above silver and above gold. Proverbs 22:1
- But as many as received him, to them he gave prerogative to be the sons of God, even to them that believe in his Name, John 1:12
- Neither is there salvation in any other: for among men there is given none other Name under heaven, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12
- Wherefore God hath also highly exalted him, and given him a name above every name. That at the Name of Jesus should every knee bow, both of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth. Philippians 2:9-10