GRACIOUS SPIRIT, DWELL WITH ME
Thomas T. Lynch, 1818–1871
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you … and I will put My Spirit in you and move you to follow My decrees. (Ezekiel 36:26, 27)
An awareness and knowledge of the Holy Spirit’s ministries is most important for every believer. Note briefly these ten specific ministries:
• Teaches truths about God and reveals Christ (John 16:12–15).
• Convicts us of wrong doing (John 16:8–11).
• Regenerates and renews us (Titus 3:5).
• Baptizes or places us into the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:13).
• Gives assurance of our salvation (Romans 8:16).
• Indwells and guides our lives (Romans 8:14; 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20).
• Prays for us (Romans 8:26).
• Fills our lives with joy and power (Ephesians 5:18).
• Seals and guarantees our eternal promise (Ephesians 4:30).
• Distributes gifts to the church (1 Corinthians 12:1–11).
In spite of a renewed awareness and appreciation of the Holy Spirit’s ministries within recent years, these is also much theological difference between various groups of believers regarding terminologies and specifics. May we not become so engrossed with our theological differences about the Holy Spirit that we forfeit the practical benefits of living and walking in the Spirit and demonstrating the fruit of a Spirit-filled life to a lost world—“love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” (Galatians 5:22). “Gracious Spirit, Dwell Within Me” also reminds us that the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit should make us “gracious,” “truthful,” “mighty,” and “holy.”
Gracious Spirit, dwell with me: I myself would gracious be; and with words that help and heal would Thy life in mine reveal; and with actions bold and meek would for Christ my Savior speak.
Truthful Spirit, dwell with me: I myself would truthful be; and with wisdom kind and clear let Thy life in mine appear; and with actions brotherly speak my Lord’s sincerity.
Mighty Spirit, dwell with me: I myself would mighty be; mighty so as to prevail where unaided man must fail: ever by a mighty hope pressing on and bearing up.
Holy Spirit, dwell with me: I myself would holy be; separate from sin, I would choose and cherish all things good, and whatever I can be, give to Him who gave me Thee!
For Today: Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 6:19; Galatians 5:25; 1 Peter 1:22
Since the Holy Spirit is the most neglected and least understood Person of the Godhead, what can you do to help your church bring more attention to the importance of the Holy Spirit and His specific ministries?
Osbeck, K. W.
- So then they that are in the flesh, cannot please God. Romans 8:9
- Know ye not, that your body is the temple of the holy Ghost, which is in you, whom ye have of God? and ye are not your own. 1 Corinthians 6:19
- If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Galatians 5:25
- Having purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit, to love brotherly without feigning, love one another with a pure heart fervently: 1 Peter 1:22