UNDER HIS WINGS
William O. Cushing, 1823–1902
He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge. (Psalm 91:4)
Daily living is often filled with unexpected dangers. We never know what lies ahead as we begin each new day. How does a person cope with uncertainty and have the stability to live victoriously? For the Christian, daily security is having an unwavering confidence that God is in absolute control and personally involved in every detail of life. The only condition is that we must be willing to accept His help and remain close to Him wherever He leads. Jesus taught this truth to the people of His day; He longed to gather them to Himself even as a mother hen gathers her chicks under her wings when there is an impending storm. The human tragedy then and still today is that people are generally unwilling to accept His gracious offer (Luke 13:34).
The author of this hymn text, William Cushing, wrote these words as an expression of Psalm 17:8—“Hide me under the shadow of Thy wings.” After pastoring several large churches, Cushing suddenly was told that he could no longer preach. He had lost the power of speech. Broken in spirit, he cried out to God with the words of the psalmist. God answered by giving him the gift of writing. In all, William Cushing wrote more than 300 gospel hymns, which have had an even wider spiritual influence than his years of successful pastoring. “Under His Wings” first appeared in Ira Sankey’s Sacred Songs No. 1, published in 1896. It has continued to be a favorite hymn of comfort among God’s people.
Under His wings I am safely abiding; tho the night deepens and tempests are wild, still I can trust Him; I know He will keep me; He has redeemed me, and I am His child.
Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow! How the heart yearningly turns to His rest! Often when earth has no balm for my healing, there I find comfort and there I am blest.
Under His wings, O what precious enjoyment! There will I hide till life’s trials are o’er; sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me; resting in Jesus I’m safe evermore.
Refrain: Under His wings, under His wings, who from His love can sever? Under His wings my soul shall abide, safely abide forever.
For Today: Deuteronomy 33:27; 2 Samuel 22:31; Psalm 17:8; 36:7; 57:1; Isaiah 12:2; Matthew 23:37
Realize anew that God Himself desires to protect you and provide for your best welfare. Thank Him for this blessing. Go forth with this musical truth—
Osbeck, K. W.
- The eternal God is thy refuge, and under his arms thou art forever: he shall cast out the enemy before thee, and will say, Destroy them. Deuteronomy 33:27
- The way of God is uncorrupt: the word of the Lord is tried in the fire: he is a shield to all that trust in him. 2 Samuel 22:31
- Keep me as the apple of the eye: hide me under the shadow of thy wings, Psalm 17:8
- How excellent is thy mercy, O God! therefore the children of men trust under the shadow of thy wings. Psalm 36:7
- Have mercy upon me, O God, have mercy upon me; for my soul trusteth in thee, and in the shadow of thy wings will I trust, till these afflictions overpass. Pslam 57:1
- Behold, God is my salvation: I will trust, and will not fear: for the Lord God is my strength and song: he is also become my salvation. Isaiah 12:2
- Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the Prophets, and stonest them which are sent to thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, as the hen grabbed her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Matthew 23:37