GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU
Civilla D. Martin, 1869–1948
Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall. (Psalm 55:22)
Do we as Christians trust God for salvation and eternal life yet at times doubt that He will tenderly care for us in our daily life? We all seem to need reassurance of God’s concern for us in troublesome times. That’s why this hymn has brought comfort and encouragement to so many Christians—it reminds us that the Lord cares deeply for His children. We need not worry no matter how great the task, how difficult the test, how fierce the danger, or how great the need. We can just “lean upon His breast” and be covered by “His wings of love.”
Civilla Martin wrote this hymn when she herself needed to learn the lesson of resting in God’s care. Her husband, the Reverend W. Stillman Martin, was a well-known Baptist evangelist. One Sunday in 1904, Mrs. Martin became ill suddenly and was unable to accompany her husband to his preaching assignment some distance away. As Mr. Martin considered canceling his trip, their young son exclaimed, “Father, don’t you think that if God wants you to preach today, He will take care of Mother while you’re away?” Returning that evening after seeing several people profess Christ as Savior, Mr. Martin found his wife greatly improved and busily writing this text, which had been suggested by her son’s words. That same evening, Stillman Martin composed the music, providing God’s people with another endearing hymn that has ministered to hurting hearts.
Be not dismayed whate’er betide, God will take care of you; beneath His wings of love abide; God will take care of you.
Thru days of toil when heart doth fail, God will take care of you; when dangers fierce your path assail, God will take care of you.
All you may need He will provide; God will take care of you; nothing you ask will be denied; God will take care of you.
No matter what may be the test, God will take care of you; lean, weary one, upon His breast; God will take care of you.
Chorus: God will take care of you, thru ev’ry day, o’er all the way; He will take care of you; God will take care of you.
For Today: Job 23:10; Psalm 57:1; Isaiah 41:10; 1 Corinthians 10:13; Philippians 4:19; 1 Peter 5:7
Share God’s love and concern with someone who is hurting. Encourage the troubled believer with this musical truth—
Osbeck, K. W.
- But he knoweth my way, and trieth me, and I shall come forth like gold. Job 23:10
- Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy upon me; for my soul trusteth in thee, and in the shadow of thy wings will I trust, till these afflictions overpass. Psalm 57:1
- Fear thou not, for I am with thee: be not afraid, for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee, and help thee, and will sustain thee with the right hand of my justice. Isaiah 41:10
- There hath no temptation taken you, but such as appeareth to man: and God is faithful, which will not suffer you to be tempted above that you be able, but will even give the issue with the temptation, that ye may be able to bear it. 1 Corinthians 10:13
- And my God shall fulfill all your necessities through his riches with glory in Jesus Christ. Philippians 4:19
- Cast all your care on him: for he careth for you. 1 Peter 5:7