Rick Warren Says Gay People Can Go to Heaven and Might Not Be Committing Sin
BY BOWATKIN IN CHRISTIAN NEWS · JUNE 11, 2013 Rick Warren, the prominent pastor and author of the best-selling book, “The Purpose Driven Life,” is openly reflective on what it means to be gay and whether or not being gay stops you from going to heaven. Warren recently stated that gay behavior might be sinful and that gay men and women can go to heaven. Both of these statements are controversial, particularly since Warren has been known to be outspoken about gay culture.
During an interview this week with the Huffington Post, Warren was asked if being gay was a sin.
“I have many, many gay friends, and have worked around the world with them in gay organizations to try to stop AIDS,” he said. “We’re doing ‘World AIDS Day’ this weekend at Saddleback Church. My wife and I have given millions of dollars to help people with HIV/AIDS and have worked with gay organizations on that.” “What about the love part, though? I hear about the AIDS part,” asked Huffpost Live Host, Marc Lamont Hill. “It’s not illegal to love somebody,” Warren replied.
“It might be a sin to have s*x with them,” he added. “It might be.” Recently, Warren spoke on CNN and was asked if it is possible for someone to be born gay. He said that he’s not so sure about that one. “I think the jury is still out on that,” he said. “It wouldn’t bother me if there was a ‘gay gene’ found, because here’s what we know about life: I have all kinds of natural feelings in my life, and it doesn’t necessarily mean that I should act on every feeling. … I do not believe that attraction is a sin, but I do believe that some actions are sin.” Also during his interview on the Huffington Post, Warren stated that he believes that gay people can still go to heaven. This remark contradicts those of other pastors, who argue that gay people will go to hell since they are living in this form of sin. “No, not because they’re gay,” he said. “We go to Hell because we choose to reject the grace of God.” When asked if a gay man can go to heaven if he accepts Jesus, Warren was clear in his response. “He’s going to Heaven!” he declared. “Without a doubt.”
Reading this article is comparable to a see saw or the slight stomach drop experienced while descending a roller coaster, which is how I’ve viewed much of what Rick Warren has written and said for years. It is appalling that SBC “pastors” support this man and refer to him as their “brother in Christ”, which “christ”? I am quite thankful for ministries that do point out exactly what he is, a deceiver. As former SBC members it was astonishing to hear how well thought of Warren is including blatant denials of his stance on sodomy despite Uganda pastors called him out on YouTube for saying he supported them while in their presence, but changed his mind once back in America.
Warren waffles and capitulates to the culture which indicates he is not, by the biblical definition, called to the pulpit; PDL is filled with spiritual landminds yet lauded and sold in “life”way bookstores, Saddleback introduced Chrislam (links at bottom), P.E.A.C.E. plan to Africa and many other nations wreaking havoc. Far from being “America’s Pastor” he is an accurate reflection of what ails so-called evangelicalism, go along to get along and don’t warn others of the wolf packs encircling the sheep because big names bring in vast amounts of money into denominational coffers. That’s the plain truth of the matter.
Overripe onions cause eyes to tear, and peeling back the layers of this article will be a similarly unpleasant experience as Warren so twists the Word of God so as to make it resemble a pretzel rather than the two-edged sword that discerns the intentions of the heart and bring men out of darkness when preached.
- There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel. Dt 23:17
- Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion. Le 18:22–23
And there were also sodomites in the land: and they did according to all the abominations of the nations which the LORD cast out before the children of Israel. 1 Ki 14:24
- And Asa did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD, as did David his father. And he took away the sodomites out of the land, and removed all the idols that his fathers had made. 1 Ki 15:11-12
- And the remnant of the sodomites, which remained in the days of his father Asa, he took out of the land. 1 Ki 22:46
- And he brake down the houses of the sodomites, that were by the house of the LORD, where the women wove hangings for the grove. 2 Ki 23:7
- For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Ro 1:26–28
Warren regularly Saddlebacks his followers with error, and when asked if sodomy is a sin he obfuscates desiring accolades of men while waving his alms as to the millions he and Kay have given to fight AIDS. Medical research to treat HIV/AIDS is wonderful, likewise raising money in pursuit of a cure; however, perhaps warning that STD’s are significantly higher among homosexuals would be more honorable and loving than encouraging people to ignore God’s warnings about consequences of promiscuity. Hill is to be applauded for seeking clarification since his question was not addressed. Warren’s response, “No, it’s not a sin to love somebody,” in an attempt to please everyone, he adds, “It might be a sin to have s*x with them, … it might be.”
When CNN asked if one is born gay, Warren’s cognitive dissonance was evident, “I think the jury is still out on that. . . It wouldn’t bother me if there was a ‘gay gene’ found,“. Mr. Warren, decades-long medical scientific studies indicate there is no “gay” gene.[2, 3, 4] The Huffington Post has it wrong, it is not “pastors who argue that gay people will go to hell since they are living in this form of sin.” Rather, the Creator of humanity and the Word, the Lord Jesus Christ, warns:
- Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge. Heb 13:4
- Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them, in like manner giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. Jud 7
Quite clear. No grey area or “wiggle room” therein. God says,
- Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Co 6:9–10
Warren states humanity goes to hell for rejecting the grace of God, that is only half truth. Mankind will go to hell for failing to agree with God that they are wretched sinners, enemies of His, refuse to repent, and accept salvation as through the Lord Jesus Christ alone. True salvation requires taking up our cross, which demands dying to self and being resurrected into new life in Christ; thus, the old man and his lustful passions have passed away and God places His Holy Spirit within. It is this repentance which wroughts eternal life because it is all a work of God, who draws sinners to His Son, and then begins conforming those reborn to be more like Christ in righteousness. As repeatedly stated on EZC, this will never be completely realized until death or glorification. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. 1 Jn 1:10 Nevertheless, disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ will tell you who they are today is unrecognizable to whom they previously were. We no longer have a heart of stone, but one of flesh,
- Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. 2 Co 3:3
- If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousnes. 1 Jn 1:8–9
Warren did get one thing right, any homosexual that is drawn by the Father to repentance and comes to the Lord Jesus Christ broken and contrite will be saved (Ps 34:18, 51:17). Other familiar portions of scripture,
- They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Lk 5:31–32
- And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. John 3:13–20
Men like Rob Bell, Brian McLaren, and Rick Warren are leading men and women astray. A particular sin is okay due to “evolving” cultural opinion, despite the Bible speaking clearly to the contrary. Not only is this hypocrisy it identifies these men as false teachers. Warren=Chrislam.[6, 7, 8, 9]
***Links are informative, and does not indicate EZC agrees with everything contained on the site.***